Sunday, December 15, 2013

I think I'm the casa dois

 It's not super uncommon in Moz for men to have several families at different houses.  It's common enough, in fact, that there's a name for it.  Casa 2.  Second house.  It's considered better to be Casa 1, naturally.

This week I had a sad realization that I am Niki's Casa 2.

In a very dramatic reality-tv fashion her Casa 1 and Casa 2 were brought face to face. Niki and I were going on a walk through the mato when a man came out of his hut.  He waved, we exchanged pleasantries and then we had a THIS IS MY DOG show down.  At first I thought it was one of those not very funny Mozamjokes where someone says the opposite of what is true.  I laughed and said NO IT'S NOT because I've heard that joke before. No, really he said  That's my dog, give it to me.  To prove his point he called her by a Xangana name. She ran to him and wiggled around in the sand at his feet.  I called her by her American Name. She didn't even look up.  I lost.  I haven't seen her since.



This is the preschool in front of Amy's house
Then I left My little town in the south and ventured north for a BEACH VACATION.  I'm at Amy's house and we've been doing nothing but buying food at the market and swimming in the ocean for three days.  Oh, and we found a puppy.  Some little kid had it on the side of the road and Amy egged me on and I took it.  The puppy is way too young to be away from it's mother, but the kid said that it's mom had abandoned it.  No wonder.  It's blind, bowlegged and kind of stupid.  We're not naming it for at least a month.


No comments:

Post a Comment