Sunday, October 27, 2013

I bought a Luxury Vehicle

On Friday I bought a wheelbarrow!  It was 1700 mets which is about 700 mets more than I wanted to spend.  1700 mets!  That's about double what the average person pays to rent a house in my village.  It's 17 round trips to the city on the Chapa.  It's 85 round trips on the train.  It's 17 capulanas.  A month's worth of food.  Two month's salary for my maid. (who, once again has disappeared and I'm forced to wash my own clothes and cook my own meals again again...woe is me)

The most surprising thing about pushing a wheelbarrow around town is that I was acutely aware of how conspicuous I was (more than usual!) with my brand new purchase.  Everyone knows how much a wheelbarrow costs.  I felt like I might as well be walking down the street with a new 60" plasma tv, or rolling up to the grocery store in a gigantic Hummer or something equally gaudy.  Also, look how different my relationship with the wheelbarrow is now.  Instead of being a occasionally useful object tucked into the corner of the barn, now it's a cherished item that greatly improves my quality of life.  I prop it up outside my back door and gaze at it proudly every time I go outside.  I smile when I consider how much better my life is now that I have it.   I can take my garbage out to the hole in back with ease.  I can carry water from the hose ~200 yards from my house--no longer do I need to climb on top of the water tank and then wrestle 5 gallon buckets full of water down from the 6 1/2 foot tall tank.  I can buy charcoal in bulk.  I can carry cases of soda from town.  I've moved up in the world.  



I AM TALKING ABOUT A WHEELBARROW YOU GUYS.  

No comments:

Post a Comment